Mornin'...With Al Jarreau




(Roof Garden)

Today I (Ethan Stranger) will present my 1st-ever blog post review of a musician who I grew up with..and that happens to be the late, great Al Jarreau. I’ve been listening to this guy’s great music long before even my parents and I knew that I had Aspergers/ADHD.  So for any Asperger or ADHD person, may I recommend listening to this man’s music, it’s soothing and relaxing (especially for those who’ve come back from college and feel exhausted and overworked).


Al Jarreau was born (Alwyn Lopez Jarreau) on March 12, 1940, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Al Jarreau would grow up to become an American singer and songwriter who sang with almost acrobatic versatility and inventiveness, ranging from tenor crooning to scatting. His music contained influences of jazz, rhythm and blues, soul, and gospel without belonging precisely to any of those genres. 

Jarreau won seven Grammy Awards across three different musical categories.

(Our Love)

Throughout my childhood, I always enjoyed his music.  It relaxed me and made me feel positive about life (I never had a clear reason why). While I enjoyed most of the modern music that is playing today, it doesn’t hurt to listen to several of the old classics because they’re enjoyable and In a way - have the feeling that you’re reliving the 1980s.

(Breaking Away)

 

My favorite Al Jarreau songs are “Closer to your Love, Breaking Away, Easy & We’re in this Love together”, out of the 4, the first two are my favorites. 

(Closer to your Love)

As I grew up and moved on to listening to other types of music, sometimes I still listen to Al Jarreau’s music and I discovered several other songs that I never heard during my childhood (Mornin’, Roof Garden, After All, and Love is Waiting). I feel guilty for not listening to his other songs during the happiest times of my childhood (cause his music is the kind that’ll make you feel positive,, and wanted to back in time when your life was so simple & easy before growing up before you are forced to deal with the harshness of reality). Every time I watch/listen to the music/video of Mornin’, it makes me feel like reliving the early 1980s without a single care in the world, just walking down the street, feeling endlessly happy, sometimes I wish I was I more like Al Jarreau in this music video.  Following my Grandpa’s death, I kinda enjoyed listening to this song to help me deal with my grieving & sadness, for my Grandpa would’ve wanted me to be strong and not sad forever because I know he’s in a better place)


                                                                         (Mornin'...)                                                                         I’ve always wondered why this musician has never had an Autobiographical Film.  In my opinion, do you know who would be perfect to portray him? - Daily Show Host, Trevor Noah (Picture, Right), I mean, he  looks like Al Jarreau (Picture, Left), maybe if he grew out his hair a bit & if only we heard him sing more on the Daily Show (or is this enough to please):

(https://www.youtube.com/watch_TheDailyShowwithTrevorNoah)

While I (nor anybody) is forcing Trevor Noah to either portray or make a film about an autobiographical film about Al Jarreau, I’m just saying that he’d be perfect for the role (if he himself feels up to it, wonder if I, Ethan Stranger, could make a brief cameo for again, I grew up with Al Jarreau’s music).   

(After All)

Finally, while Al Jarreau didn’t have Aspergers/ADHD, he was considered a “Late Bloomer” (a person whose talents or capabilities are not visible to others until later than usual), his first album was released when he was at the age of 35. So there’s something that I (Ethan Stranger) can relate to this, for while all my friends have already succeeded in this crazy game called life, I (as an Asperger/ADHD) am still attempting to improve my writing skills (through the world of blogging), in the hopes that I will either become a professional comic book writer (or professional storyteller).

I finally wanna thank the late Al Jarreau himself, for entertaining my childhood with his enjoyable music. 

Al Jarreau sings to Ethan Stranger that “Love is Waiting”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glitch Techs: The Miko Kubota File💜

Just a Stray Black Cat: The Felicia Hardy Story

High School Crushes: Preparing for Love